- The #GoCanadaUnited campaign is underway to bolster local business across Canada. There are many ways to get involved in the movement and eligible small biz will be able to apply for $5,000 relief grants. Very special thanks to RBC and 60+ organizations across Canada (including many Chambers of Commerce and Boards of Trade), who have come together to make this “show local some love” campaign and accompanying relief fund a reality.
- New labour force statistics show that nearly two-thirds of Manitobans are back to work. Total July employment in Manitoba increased by 12,400, a two per cent increase from June, where employment increased by a record 28,900. In Manitoba, full-time employment was up 6,200, a 1.3 per cent increase, over double the national average. Part-time employment increased by 6,100, an increase of five per cent. Overall, the provincial unemployment rate edged down to 8.2 per cent, the lowest in the country. The private sector, which includes the self-employed, increased 8,600, a 1.9 per cent gain from June to July. For details, click here.
- The Canadian Chamber of Commerce is leading a federal tax review (thank you!) and we need Manitobans’ expertise and input. Details can be found below about how to participate in a consultation with commissioners live via webinar this week.
- Starting up again in September, MCC will host a live webinar Q&A series, Asked & Answered, with each month featuring a provincial government minister. In July, Honourable Eileen Clarke, Minister of Indigenous & Northern Relations, joined us to discuss northern economic development and officially launch MMDF (Manitoba Mineral & Economic Development Fund). We’ll kick off the fall season with Honourable Kelvin Goertzen, Minister of Education. Watch for registration details coming soon.
- COMING SOON: We’re preparing an overview of MMDF to introduce you to our program manager, Jessica Ferris, as well as the application review committee and board members. You’ll have an opportunity to learn about the MMDF, the application process, as well as some of the brilliant projects we’re funding in Manitoba’s North. Watch your email for this special edition!
On behalf of The Manitoba Chambers of Commerce, thank you to all who joined us at our Annual Holiday Reception on last Tuesday, November 29. The...