Keeping Families Close When It’s Needed Most
“At RMHC Manitoba, you’re assured that you’re not alone and there’s always support. Staying at Ronald McDonald House or Family Room gives you the feeling of a close-knit community, a family. To us, the H in RMHC Manitoba means Home.”
– The Mistry Family (Brandon, MB) , Former Ronald McDonald House guests and RMHC Manitoba advocates
Every year, Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) Manitoba supports more than 2,000 families with overnight accommodations and day use programming, helping keep families with a sick child together where and when it’s needed most.
Through two core programs — Ronald McDonald House at 556 Bannatyne Avenue and Ronald McDonald Family Room within the walls of HSC Children’s Hospital — RMHC Manitoba helps families stay together and feel supported as they maneuver through the challenging and confusing journey of childhood illness or injury.
“RMHC Manitoba witnesses the difference our mission makes each day,” says Wendy Galagan, RMHC Chief Executive Officer, and former client. “Our goal is to create some form of stability for our families by delivering important services like accommodations, meals, parking, laundry, transportation, and programming. We enable our clients to access daily essentials so they can focus on their sick child, the entire family, and themselves, because we know that families are stronger when together.”
RMHC Manitoba provides more than 5,000 nights of accommodations per year at Ronald McDonald House and in the Family Room sleeping rooms. These services provide comfort and much-needed support, and help ease the impact on the emotional and physical well-being of the family unit. These services also significantly reduce the financial burden that typically accompanies childhood illness or injury, saving families more than $1.35 million dollars annually in costly, out-of-pocket expenses.
Families are filled with a deep and full appreciation for all those who are part of the RMHC Manitoba Mission, and their hearts often overflow with gratitude.
“The smell of freshly-brewed coffee greets us every time we enter the Family Room, taking away some of the stress of the moment. As small as that seems, it’s something to look forward to. The space is a tremendous resource for those who are dealing with the issues that come with having a child in the hospital. It has helped bring us some normalcy into an otherwise chaotic situation. It is truly a home away from home!”
– The Kehler Family (Winnipeg, MB), Regular Ronald McDonald Family Room guests and RMHC Manitoba advocates
RMHC Manitoba is truly proud to be an integral part of the network of care for sick children and their families:
- The Winnipeg Ronald McDonald House opened its doors in 1984 and the Ronald McDonald Family Room opened in 2010. RMHC Manitoba has helped keep families from across Manitoba and beyond close during times of childhood illness or injury for more than 35 years.
- Our founding and forever partner, McDonald’s Restaurants, supports approximately 25% to 35% of RMHC Manitoba’s annual fundraising requirements per year through McHappy Day, coin box donations, kiosk donations, Happy Meal program, RMHC Cookie program, event sponsorships, and in-kind support.
- RMHC Manitoba saved families more than $1.35 million in costly, out-of-pocket expenses last year alone.
- In 2019, RMHC Manitoba was supported by 114 Ronald McDonald House and Ronald McDonald Family Room volunteers, offering more than 7,500 hours of support to families.
- RMHC Manitoba’s newly-launched Cart with a Heart program provides comfort, care, and support to families outside of Ronald McDonald House and Ronald McDonald Family Room, while spreading awareness about its core programs with families and staff. The program provides coffee, tea, snacks, small toys and information about RMHC Manitoba to families. The Cart also offers coffee and tea to HSC Children’s Hospital staff on the units it visits. RMHC Manitoba has recently expanded Cart with a Heart shifts to twice a week. This includes visits to HSC Children’s Hospital units on Monday afternoon and now the NICU at the new HSC Women’s Hospital on Friday afternoons.
RMHC Manitoba is grateful and strengthened by its community of compassionate supporters, and there are many ways to help this registered charitable organization continue to fulfill its mission. Click on these links to learn more about becoming a donor, volunteering, or to purchase tickets to attend RMHC Manitoba’s 2020 Hope Couture Fashion Gala on March 12.