The Manitoba Mineral Development Fund’s (MMDF) annual fund provides opportunities for Indigenous partnerships, increased local employment and economic development in Northern Manitoba. Funding is also available for projects outside of Northern Manitoba supporting the mineral development industry.
For more details about MMDF, please read the MMDF Program Guidelines
MMDF replaces the Mining Community Reserve Fund and was developed to align with the priorities set out in Manitoba’s updated economic development framework, including Look North report and the Action Plan for Manitoba’s Northern Economy. The Manitoba Mineral Development Fund (MMDF), delivered and administered by the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce (MCC), jump-starts mineral and economic development initiatives and capitalizes on existing assets in the North and across Manitoba. Projects funded by MMDF benefit Manitoba’s economy and local communities alike with a partnership-based approach to help grow and diversify the provincial economy together with Indigenous communities. In October 2019, the Government of Manitoba announced a $20 million investment to create the fund and the MCC officially launched the MMDF in July 2020.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Step 1 – Review the MMDF Program Guidelines
Step 2 – Complete the relevant application form:
- STAGE 1 APPLICATION FORM (projects taking less than one year)
- STAGE 2 APPLICATION FORM (projects lasting one year or longer)
Step 3 – Connect with MMDF Staff
Step 4 – Application Review Committee Phase
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Chuck Davidson (Chair) – Manitoba Chambers of Commerce
- Kevin Ploegman – Fort Group – Manitoba Chambers of Commerce
- Darin Downey – Gardewine – Manitoba Chambers of Commerce
- Colleen Smook – City of Thompson – Association of Manitoba Municipalities
- Richard Trudeau – HudBay Minerals – Mining Association of Manitoba
MMDF APPLICATION REVIEW COMMITTEE
- Cal Huntley – Chair
- Kathy Valentino – Vice-Chair
- Ron Evans
- Becky Cianflone
- Rob Penner
- Lyle Safronetz
- Brian Ross
APPROVED PROJECTS & SUCCESS STORIES
Click here for a list of approved MMDF projects.
Click on the links below to read some of the exciting announcements released by our project proponents, as well as media articles about MMDF:
- BWR Exploration Inc. Awarded Grant from Manitoba Mineral Development Fund TSX Venture Exchange:BWR (globenewswire.com)
- Callinex Receives Grant from Manitoba Mineral Development Fund (newswire.ca)
- Alamos Gold and northern Manitoba First Nation launch youth development project | CTV News
- Marcel Colomb First Nation and Alamos Gold Inc. Launch a Land-Based Youth Development Project with the Support of the Manitoba Mineral Development Fund (nationtalk.ca)
- New Age Metals Initiates 2020 Lithium Division Work Program – New Age Metals Inc.
- MBiz Magazine (pages 16 & 17)
Who is eligible to apply?
- Municipal or regional governments
- Private organizations, including for-profit & not-for-profit organizations
- Indigenous organization or community
When is the application deadline?
MMDF applications are reviewed by the Application Review Committee on a monthly basis.
What types of projects are eligible for funding?
Project eligibility can be found in Section 4 of the MMDF Program Guidelines.
What project costs are eligible for funding?
Generally, all costs that are reasonably associated with the project’s activities are eligible for funding. For more specific information about ineligible or eligible costs, please review Section 7 of the MMDF Program Guidelines.
Are there maximum amounts of funding available for a project?
For short-term projects, the maximum amount of funding available is $50,000. Medium- and long-term projects may be approved for funding up to $300,000. Note, the Board approves funding for projects on a case by case basis and may approve funding for projects exceeding the suggested limit(s) if a project demonstrates exceptional merit.