It’s back, baby! The Manitoba Chambers of Commerce is excited to announce the 2022 return of our successful Tourism Rebate Incentive Program (TRIP), May 6 to 16, 2022.
“To say that TRIP 2021 was a success would be a huge understatement, because thanks to almost 25,000 Manitobans who took advantage of the rebate, this recovery program had a massive impact on Manitoba’s beleaguered tourism industry,” said Chuck Davidson, President & CEO, Manitoba Chambers of Commerce. “With this new round of TRIP rebates, we’re encouraging Manitobans to get out there this spring to tour our beautiful province while supporting our valuable recreational assets.”
In 2021, TRIP returned $2.2 million in rebates to Manitobans who embarked on adventures, road trips and staycations, filling hotel rooms, taking advantage of specially-designed stay-and-play packages, and bolstering attraction visitation throughout the province. The tracked activity resulted in a total of $5.5 million in direct spending at recreational properties.
“Tracked spending aside, surveyed TRIP participants told us they spent an average of $510 on their trip, for total estimated spending of $11.2 million, representing roughly a 5-to-1 return on investment. This program made a huge difference to tourism in Manitoba and we’re excited to be able to do it again,” says Davidson.
Travel Manitoba President & CEO Colin Ferguson says the TRIP is a terrific way to find a staycation that speaks to you. “You might be dreaming about recharging on a weekend spa getaway, or thinking about rediscovering a hidden gem you visited long ago,” he said. “You could explore a region of the province that has always piqued your interest, or book a fun waterslide hotel stay with the kids. Whatever type of getaway you design, TRIP is a win-win: You’ll enjoy a break, see our beautiful province, and get something back!”
New for 2022, eligible participants will receive a rebate in the form of a personal cheque mailed to a designated physical address or delivered electronically to their PayPal account. For TRIP Phase 3, the dates eligible for rebates will be Friday, May 6 to Monday, May 16, 2022, with the window to upload receipts to www.tripmb.ca closing one week later, at 11:59 PM on Monday, May 23, 2022. Manitoba residents aged 18+ can choose from ONE of TWO rebate options:
- Book and stay in a hotel, motel, or resort in Manitoba, then access a $100 rebate by uploading a proof of purchase receipt to our online platform at www.tripmb.ca.
- Manitobans looking for a day trip or outing: Visit one of our province’s 31 participating Star Attractions then upload a proof of purchase receipt to our online platform at www.tripmb.ca to access a 50% rebate on general admission.
In 2021, TRIP created excellent outcomes, including:
- MONEY in MANITOBANS’ POCKETS: We administered almost 25,000 rebates, returning $2.2 million to Manitobans who invested in our province’s tourism sector. According to a large post-TRIP participant survey, the program appealed to adults of all ages, 18+, with excellent representation in all age categories, with the largest category ages 35 to 44.
- BOOSTED OCCUPANCY & VISITATION: Manitobans paid for almost 17,800 individual hotel nights; 2,877 hotel stay and play packages (room & attraction), and more than 4,700 attraction admission fees for a total of $5.5 million in direct spending at recreational properties.
- INSPIRED TRAVEL: TRIP was an effective incentive, with 56% of survey respondents saying that the trip they took was not planned prior to the launch of the program. In addition, more than half of respondents said the incentive motivated them to take an overnight trip. Almost 80% of survey respondents said the trip they took was for leisure and recreation — we all needed some of that in 2021!