Effective January 12, 2021, the Government of Manitoba formally announced enhancements and an extension to its Manitoba Bridge Grant, designed to support small to medium-sized businesses and other organizations (churches, charities, not-for-profits, etc) negatively affected by the COVID-19 Prevention Orders launched November 12, 2020 (Code Red). Here is a summary of the 3 big changes:
1) Stream A applicants – 2nd payment coming: Businesses with storefronts/bricks & mortar locations forced to close their premises to the public, and who initially applied before the Dec.31/2020 deadline, will automatically receive a second payment due to the continuation of the Prevention Orders into 2021. These recipients will receive their second payment of $5,000 imminently, for a total $10,000 grant.
2) Stream B applicants – 2nd payment coming: Launched on December 8, 2020, this stream is for eligible full-time, home-based businesses also affected by the gathering restrictions and stay at home orders. These recipients will receive a second payment also because of the extension of the orders into 2021, for up to a maximum of $5,000 based on 10% of their 2019 gross income, for a maximum grant of $10,000. (NOTE: For businesses that have completed a partial year in 2019, the 2019 income will be annualized. For business that launched in 2020 – the income generated from January 1, 2020 to October 31, 2020 will be annualized.)
3) NEW APPLICATIONS: The Grant application processes for both streams have re-opened with a deadline of January 31/2021, to new applications only. The eligibility criteria now includes a few additional organization types that were allowed to remain open, but have been affected financially by the public health orders. Those include:
- Community clubs and community centres that had their premises ordered closed to the public by the relevant municipality on or after November 12, 2020 to prevent the spread of the COVID-19.
- Manitoba hotels, resorts, lodges and outfitters; travel agencies; janitorial services businesses; and owner-operators of a licensed passenger transportation business for individuals.
To apply for Stream A (businesses): https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/programs/bridge-grant.html
To apply for Stream B (home-based businesses): https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/programs/bridge-grant-home-based.html
REMINDER: Always refer to Government of Manitoba source documents for full details and to ensure your eligibility.