On behalf of our client, Cabela’s Canada we are currently recruiting for a Director of Retail to join their senior leadership team and Canadian head office located in Winnipeg. Cabela’s began as a small family business in the 1960s in the U.S. and is making their mark as the outdoor lifestyle retail institution within Canada. Today Cabela’s serves over 25,000 customers across Canada and internationally through its call centre, online store and retail divisions. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations for Canada, the Director of Retail is responsible for driving Cabela’s future growth, long term strategy and the retail expansion across Canada.
This strategic leader will focus on building the Canadian business including the development and implementation of new retail initiatives and innovative, customer focused improvements which positively impact the Canadian customer and outfitter retail experience. The Director of Retail will continue to build and develop a passionate and high energy team committed to nurturing and developing the Cabela’s brand and culture within the Canadian retail stores and corporate headquarters. This role will appeal to an entrepreneurial builder who is passionate, self-directed and highly motivated, with the ability to strategically align to the brand and business vision within Canada.
- Ensures the retail division meets its financial commitments such as contribution margin, sales, payroll and operating expenses through establishing clear directions and expectations.
- Ensure retail is aligned with Cabela’s Canada and U.S. strategic vision by assessing business needs, developing strategic plans and utilizing the latest technologies while partnering with key stakeholders.
- Partners with corporate and field teams to ensure proper inventory levels are maintained to support sales projections while strengthening relationships with the merchant teams.
- Manages the capital budget process, new infrastructure enhancements and improvements to locations through leveraging relationships in the U.S. and Canadian networks.
- Ensure retail stores meet Canada’s national and provincial compliance guidelines and regulations.
- Consistently works in partnership with various business units in the U.S. and Canada to maximize and leverage previous learning, new processes and communication tactics to drive results across each business unit.
- Nurture and develop the Cabela’s brand and culture across current and future retail stores.
- Responsible for leadership in human resource areas including hiring, training, performance management and discipline.
- Ensure retail stores have the necessary talent to support current and future expansion.
- Ensures efficient operations of each business unit through a team of managers.
- Participates as a member of the senior leadership team who coaches, mentors, trains and develops all employees.
- Ten or more years of management and leadership experience working in large national retail environment preferably in a big box environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related post-secondary education.
- Strong strategic, leadership and management skills with a strong focus on results.
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to analyze results and respond effectively and efficiently.
- Knowledge of and experience in a computerized environment, including the operating and administration of Point of Sale (POS) and inventory management computer systems.
- Knowledge and/or experience in outdoor activities and associated products.
- Ability to obtain a CFC PAL license is required.
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic, continuous improvement environment.
This role will appeal to an entrepreneurial leader who has demonstrated excellence in performance and who is passionate about delivering innovation, quality, and value in people, the brand, products and services. If you are interested in learning more about this career opportunity please forward your resume to [email protected] or call 204-336-6249.