New Process for Reporting Traffic Collision Damage Goes Into Effect Oct. 10: Swan

Oct 7, 2011 | Government News

Changes Will Free Up Officers to Better Focus Resources
Under changes to the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) that go into effect Monday, Oct. 10, motorists will no longer be required to report collisions involving property damage to police, except under certain circumstances, Attorney General Andrew Swan, minister responsible for Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI), announced today. 

Minister Andrew Swan

“These changes respond to a request from the Manitoba Association of Chiefs of Police to streamline the accident reporting process so they can better utilize their resources,” said Swan.  “Law enforcement officers have told us their resources could be directed to other areas in order to best serve the public.” 

Manitoba drivers will only be required to report to police if a collision involves: 

  • a fatality;
  • serious injury;
  • unlicensed drivers or vehicles;
  • unidentified vehicles (for example, hit and run, failure to exchange particulars); or
  • the suspected use of drugs or alcohol. 

“Vehicle damage resulting from suspected vandalism, attempted theft and theft must also still be reported to police,” said Swan.  “A driver has seven days to make a police report from the time he or she was made aware the accident met criteria which require it be reported to the police.” 

If a driver or vehicle owner fails to make a police report when required, a passenger in the vehicle at the time of the accident must make the report. 

To assist its claims customers in complying with the new reporting requirements, MPI staff will inform those reporting claims if they are required to file a police report.

Similar Posts


advertisement advertisement


It’s going to be brrr-illiant! From December 26 to January 4, get into your coziest pyjamas and bring your family and friends to celebrate all things winter at Pyjama Days @ the Manitoba Museum!

Don’t get left out in the cold! Get your tickets early: