Thirty-nine drivers competed at Peterbilt Manitoba on Saturday, June 25 for recognition as one of Manitoba’s top professional commercial drivers. Drivers in five classes participated in three different tests (written test, pre-trips/defects, and the track) throughout the day.
Winners from the 2011 event include:
- Straight truck: Chad Kitkowski (Canadian Freightways)
- Single-single: Brian Hrabarchuk (Con-Way Freight Canada)
- Single-tandem: John Klassen (W.M. Dyck & Sons)
- Tandem-tandem: Howard McAfee (H&T Trucking)
- Super B train: Ken Wiebe (EBD Enterprises)
These five drivers will represent Team Manitoba at the 2011 National Professional Truck Driving Championship, held this year in Calgary September 8-11.
The event was capped off with the annual Driver Awards Banquet. All five winners from the driving championship were recognized for their efforts. Further awards presented include:
- First Time Entrant: Marc Cohen (Big Freight Systems)
- Team Award: TST Overland Express
- Grand Champion: Ken Wiebe (EBD Enterprises)
- Bjornson Memorial: Ken Wiebe (EBD Enterprises)
As well, the 2011 MTA-Volvo Trucks Canada Driver of the Year was awarded. This year’s recipient is William DeGroot of Arnold Bros. Transport. DeGroot was one of six recipients of the 2010 MTA-Custom Truck Sales Inc Industry Excellence Award. Winners of the 2011 MTA-Volvo Trucks Canada Driver of the Year award are chosen from this pool of nominees.
The Manitoba Trucking Association would like to thank all of the volunteers who ensure the success of this annual event. This year, over 40 volunteers participated in various capacities. The MTA would also like to recognize Manitoba Public Insurance, Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation, Peterbilt Manitoba Ltd, YRC Reimer and Beaver Truck Centre for their continued sponsorship of this event.
The Manitoba Trucking Association exists to develop and maintain a safe and healthy business environment for our industry members.
For more information contact:
Phone: (204) 632-6600
E-mail: [email protected]