This summer, TD Bank Group is once again bringing powerhouse musical performances to venues across the country. With TD-sponsored music festivals starting to kick off on June 16th, TD is hoping that hearing artists like Aretha Franklin and Robert Plant belt out their iconic tunes will ignite sparks of musical inspiration among the many young attendees.
“Music is a creative expression that crosses all cultural lines and plays an important role for Canadians, both young and old,” says Mary-Ann Fratia, Coalition for Music Education Member of the Board of Directors. “We value companies like TD for sponsoring a number of major music festivals across the country and for supporting musical learning opportunities.”
In addition to sponsoring music festivals across the country, TD supports a number of musical education programs and workshops geared to helping young Canadians cultivate and develop a love of music. While educational programs/workshops may vary according to venue, participants will have a chance to learn from and jam alongside musical greats with workshops from musicians and, in some cases perform on the festival’s closing weekend.
Helping Young Canadians Discover Music:
“A main focus of our community giving strategy is to create access to education and opportunities for young people,” said Scott Mullin, VP, Community Relations for TD. “Our aim is to encourage young Canadians to experience firsthand the power of music and the positive long-term impact music education can have on their quality of life.”
TD Music Festivals provide a perfect opportunity to bring young people together from diverse backgrounds to share in the love of great music. Building on their support, TD recently launched the Discover Music social media hub at http://www.tdlivemusic.com/ to attract a younger demographic and provide youth with continuous updates, information and exclusive videos from some of this year’s performers sharing personal anecdotes. Youth from across the country can follow the #TDJazzFest hashtag on Twitter to keep up to date with the latest news or visit the site to view videos and connect with other musical youth.
The first TD Music Festival to kick off this summer is in Winnipeg. Tickets can be purchased online and more information can be found on the following websites:
- TD Winnipeg International Jazz Festival (http://www.jazzwinnipeg.com/): June 16 – July 25
- TD Ottawa International Jazz Festival (http://www.ottawajazzfestival.com/): June 23 – July 3
- TD Toronto Jazz Festival (http://www.torontojazz.com/): June 24 – July 3
- TD Vancouver International JazzFest (http://www.coastaljazz.ca/): June 24 – July 3
- Sasktel Saskatchewan Jazz Festival (http://www.saskjazz.com/): June 24 – July 3
- TD Victoria International JazzFest (http://www.jazzvictoria.ca/): June 24 – July 3
- Montreal International Jazz Festival (http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/default-en.aspx): June 25 – July 4
- TD Halifax Jazz Festival (http://halifaxjazzfestival.ca/): July 8 – July 16
- Beaches International Jazz Festival (http://www.beachesjazz.com/): July 15 – July 24
- Calgary Folk Music Festival (http://www.calgaryfolkfest.com/): July 21- July 24
- TD Festival of Friends in Hamilton (http://www.creativearts.on.ca/): August 5 – August 7
About Coalition for Music Education
The Coalition for Music Education works to raise the awareness and understanding of the role that music education plays in Canadian culture and to promote the benefits that music education brings to young people. We envision Canada as a country where the lives of all children are enriched by quality school music programs and where their active participation in music is valued and supported in our communities. For more information, please visit http://www.musicmakesus.ca/.
TD Community Giving
TD invests in communities to make a positive impact where it does business and where our customers, clients and employees live and work. In 2010, TD donated over $50 million to support community organizations in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom. In Canada, we focus on education and financial literacy, creating opportunities for young people, and the environment. For more information, visit www.td.com/corporateresponsibility.
For further information: