CN (TSX: CNR) (NYSE:CNI) announced it has issued its third sustainability report, Delivering Responsibly. This report highlights CN’s strategy, programs and achievements in the areas of governance practices, safety initiatives, human resources management, community involvement and environmental sustainability.
Environmental sustainability is a strategic priority for CN, which is focused on lowering emissions, increasing energy efficiency, reducing, reusing and recycling waste and encouraging environmental stewardship.
CN’s efforts are driven by the following key initiatives:
- Increased locomotive fuel efficiency through fleet renewal and technological applications that reduce fuel consumption.
- Extending fuel efficiency programs to all our fleets, including equipment such as intermodal cranes and yard tractors, through the adoption of new and more fuel-efficient equipment and new technologies.
- A clean right-of-way policy across CN’s North American network
- Operating organized and neat facilities that improve safety and reduce waste.
- Reducing energy consumption at CN facilities and exploring alternative energy sources.
- Extending modal shift protocols to new jurisdictions — protocols adopted by the provinces of British Columbia and Alberta allow customers to get credit for switching shipments to more environmentally friendly modes of transportation such as rail.
- An engagement program to encourage environmental values and initiatives among CN employees across North America.
CN – Canadian National Railway Company and its operating railway subsidiaries – spans Canada and mid-America, from the Atlantic and Pacific oceans to the Gulf of Mexico, serving the ports of Vancouver, Prince Rupert, B.C., Montreal, Halifax, New Orleans, and Mobile, Ala., and the key metropolitan areas of Toronto, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Duluth, Minn./Superior, Wis., Green Bay, Wis., Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, St. Louis, and Jackson, Miss., with connections to all points in North America.