Red River College‘s CreComm advertising majors and second-year Graphic Design students have spent the better part of the school year working to write, design, program, and publish these interactive magazines (or ePubs) for the Adobe Viewer app on iPad.
The ePubs are targeted at college-aged students, include motion graphics and video, and feature ads for RRC and Berns and Black Salon and Spa (this semester’s advertising client).
We’re special! We believe that Red River College is the only educational institution in Canada with students producing interactive magazines for the iPad. So let’s get on that RRC app already! OK, I’m calm. Let’s continue.
The ePub project was funded by an award from RRC’s Program Innovation Fund, which is designed to support technological innovation and continuous improvements in academic programming at RRC. I applied for it last year, and I thank them for giving it to me. They rule.
How to download your free ePubs
The ePubs are available for download by anyone with an iPad and the Adobe Viewer app. To download yours, simply follow these instructions:
1. Download the free Adobe Viewer app onto your iPad, as you would any app.
2. Click on the links on this blog post, below, and save the ePub files on your computer desktop.
3. Plug your iPad into your computer and launch iTunes.
4. Click on the iPad icon on the iTunes navigation bar on the left side of the iTunes screen.
5. Select “apps” near the top of the screen. You should now be looking at a menu of all of the apps you’ve downloaded onto your iPad. Page down below them, and you’ll see the File Sharing menu.
6. Click on the Adobe Viewer app icon under File Sharing.
7. Drag your ePub files from your desktop into the Documents window under File Sharing.
8. Sync your iPad by pressing the Sync button near the bottom of the iTunes screen. Detach your iPad, select the Adobe Viewer app, and you’re ready to enjoy…
- Example one.
- Example two.
- Example three.
- Example four.
- Example five.
- Example six.
- Example seven.
- Example eight.
- Example nine.
- Example 10.
Some of these apps are awaiting the final proofread, design, and programming; I’ll post updates as they become available.
*This post initially appeared on Kenton Larsen’s blog “Infotainment Scan”.
Kenton teaches Advertising, Public Relations, and Comedy Writing at Red River College in Winnipeg, Canada. My background is working in advertising and PR and writing and performing stand-up comedy.
You can check out his blog here.
About Red River College:
At RRC, we take pride in our students’ achievements because they’re the reason we’re here. Our goal is to provide the highest quality education available — leading our learners straight to employment. We strive to keep our curriculum on the cutting edge through partnerships with industry and by using state-of-the-art equipment.
Our aim is to steadily meet and exceed the job market’s evolving requirements. That’s why we employ a committed staff and faculty dedicated to ensuring each student is armed with the knowledge, experience, and confidence to succeed in today’s multi-skilled workforce.
Vision and Mission
Red River College is renowned for providing accessible, innovative, applied learning and research in an advanced environment, creating skilled graduates to drive the Manitoba economy.
The mission of RRC is to enable students to build a career, enhance quality of life, and contribute to Manitoba’s economic and social prosperity through exceptional applied education and research.
Click here to find out more about RRC.